What Is Nutritional Supplement Packaging?
Nutritional supplement packaging—also known as nutraceutical packaging—refers to the methods by which creams, supplements, and other healthcare products are packaged for consumers. As these products are designed for consumption or direct application on the skin, the packaging employed must meet strict requirements to ensure the integrity and safety of the products remain intact during distribution and delivery operations.
When packaging their products, nutritional supplement companies focus on protecting against light, moisture/humidity, odors, and vapors, all of which can damage or degrade product quality. Two of the packaging design elements that are key to ensuring that products remain protected from these environmental factors are opacity and sealing quality. Together, these qualities ensure the product remains safe and dry.
While packaging materials are available in a wide range of designs and materials, flexible packaging is most commonly used for nutritional supplement products. Typical types employed include foil blisters and pouches.
What Are Some of the New Trends in Supplement Packaging?
As younger consumers are increasingly focusing on health and wellness, the nutraceutical industry is seeing opportunities for rapid growth. Three qualities that consumers in this demographic look for in their nutraceutical product packaging are product safety and integrity, convenience, and sustainability. These priorities are, in part, what drive some of the trends that are currently emerging in the industry, such as:
- Increased measures aimed toward maintaining brand integrity and preventing counterfeiting. When purchasing goods intended for consumption or skin application, consumers want to be sure of the safety and quality of the product. In response, manufacturers are implementing measures to maintain their brand integrity and protect against counterfeiting. For example, they are beginning to integrate newer technologies, such as tamper-evident labels, holograms, color-changing/infrared inks, and fingerprint technology, in their product packaging.
- Heightened focus on the convenience of product packaging. Consumers generally gravitate toward products that are easy to understand and use. Today, there is a greater demand for packaged products that accommodate on-the-go use (e.g., resealable containers) and quick dispensing and disposal (e.g., single-use or blister packs).
- Intensified push toward sustainable/environmentally friendly packaging. New packaging techniques and technologies allow for the production of packaged products in smaller/thinner containers and smaller quantities, both of which translate to less material utilization. Lightweighting refers to the practice of using less material to create thinner and lighter packaging in the same size while rightsizing is the practice of reducing the size of the packaging container as much as possible while still allowing it to hold the same amount of product.
While all of these changes may result in an increase in the sale of nutraceuticals, supplement packaging companies should run compatibility tests before making any packaging changes. The packaging must always prioritize maintaining the integrity of the product for the safety of the consumer.
To help customers decide on the best packaging solution for their project, we’ve compiled some information to answer a few of the most commonly asked questions about nutraceutical packaging.
Why is flexible packaging more convenient than rigid packaging?
Compared to rigid packaging, flexible packaging has many advantages. It is beneficial to manufacturers because it comes with lower material requirements and manufacturing costs. For consumers, it is more accommodating of convenient designs, such as single-use or blister packs.
What are some of the types of flexible packaging options available?
Flexible packaging comes in many different forms to suit a variety of applications. Common types of flexible packaging include:
- Bags (available in gusseted and flat square/rectangle designs
- Pouches (available in standing and gusseted designs, with a zipper option)
- Sample size packaging
- Stick packs
What contract packaging options are available at ELIS?
At ELIS, our contract packaging operations accommodate a wide range of nutritional supplement products, including the following:
- CBD powders and creams
- Gel caps
- Powders (free and non-free flow)
We offer turnkey packaging solutions. From design to delivery, our team assists customers at every stage, ensuring the packaging they receive fully meets their needs. In addition to making and filling the packaging, our services include design, lot code embossing and hot stamping, and logistical support (e.g., inventory management, custom bagging/boxing, and direct manufacturer collaboration).
Why Partner With ELIS for Nutraceutical Packaging Needs?
At ELIS Packaging Solutions, we began business as a wholesaler but have since developed a reputation as a turnkey single-service packaging specialist.
As we have experience as a packaging customer and a packaging manufacturer, we have unique insight into what it takes to deliver a successful packaging solution.
We've expanded our operations to include packaging manufacturing, blending and sourcing the raw materials we need to create finished products for our customers.
By partnering with us for their nutraceutical packaging needs, our customers benefit from our:
- Extensive industry knowledge and experience
- Commitment to accommodating customer needs
- Fast turnaround times
- High product and process quality standards
To learn more about our packaging capabilities, contact us today. For a project estimate, send a quote request with the following details: dimensions, the product being packaged, color(s), finish, and quantity.